Friday, July 24, 2009

Martin Luther King Jr. on Love

“When we speak of loving those who oppose us we refer to neither eros nor philia; we speak of a love which is expressed in the Greek word agape. Agape means nothing sentimental or basically affectionate; it means understanding redeeming good will for all men, an overflowing love which seeks nothing in return. It is the love of God working in the lives of men. When we love on the agape level we love men not because we like them, not because their attitudes and ways appeal to us, but because God loves them” (MLK 8-9).

This is what I felt after the swingset. I was caught up in the thought of God and the love he must have for his creation. I knew God loved all of his creation and out of this knowledge I was filled with a love for everyone I encountered. The love that God has for all of us manifested itself through me.

No comments: